Why would you want to do it yourself?
The push to build your own piece of furniture, rather than buy a completed piece, could come from several sources.
- – Price: you’ve seen a piece you would like, but can’t afford it
- – Quality: you’ve seen a piece you like, but it was made of particle board
- – Fit: you can’t find a piece in the correct size or shape for your needs
- – Uniqueness: you have a combination of needs that is unique enough that no one makes it
- – Fun: you like building things (we’ll include “get away from some task/person/thing I want to avoid” in this)
- – Nostalgia: you have some aged lumber that you’re dying to make use of
Many projects will touch on all of those motivations, and most will hit at least a couple of them. But even if “fun” is your top priority, you will want to consider at least a couple of the other factors when choosing projects.